Skating 101 - On the subject of tricks...

I like to think I'm a friendly person, the rink is pretty good for this kind of personality as well because people are usually pretty happy to approach others and chat about skating, so you can make friends pretty fast if you're a regular at your rink. Despite my friendly interior, I'm fairly certain that I look somewhat aloof and distant when I'm just skating around on the ice.

If only I could actually have this much poise on the ice!

However, even with this icy facade, I do still occasionally get approached by members of the public that are persistently attempting to learn some ice skating move. Maybe I don't actually look all that aloof and I'm just super unthreatening, but either way they must've decided that I've demonstrated sufficient skill to be "the right guy to ask", which is obviously immensely flattering.

"Moi?"

This process always goes fairly similarly:

Them: "Hey, you look like you know what you're doing, I'm trying to learn how to do X."
Me: "Oh right. (I watch what they've got so far) Well, what you're doing right now is almost right, but you need to have your weight at this point and focus on this aspect more."
Them: "Oh I thought there must be something I'm doing wrong."
Me: "No, no, you're basically right."
Them: "Is there some trick to make this move easier?"
Me: "Bad news I'm afraid... THERE ARE NO TRICKS."

The sad news is that ice skating is all about the hours. Time spent on the ice is the only "trick" to learning how to be a better skater. Something the Tammasaurus would like to remind me with regards to learning the Axel...

So, whatever your goal on the ice, the only way forward is to get on with it and practise!

Comments

  1. I'm definitely feeling this now, the more I Skate the more I realise everything I'm learning is going to come down to my own experience and personal practise into making it work for me. No tricks indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In the beginning there was... A bad skiing lesson

Straight Up Pain

HP #2 - Getting another perspective