Rink Notoriety Achieved!

This story comes courtesy of a conversation I had with one of the excellent, lovely, talented, senior-level ice dancers that is now turning his hand towards coaching at our rink. Why include so many praising adjectives about this wonderful young man? Well, because of him, I now know that I have achieved a degree of notoriety at the rink, and I LOVE that fact.

Gaining notoriety means I'm now officially a badass, right?

I'm well known at my rink for throwing myself into the jumping aspect of free skating with rather more zeal than is strictly necessary at my level of learning - you could say that in my quest for bigger and better then I compensate for a lack of skill with misguided effort. Scenes of me smashing into the ice are relatively common, so I often hear jokes from my friends and the rink staff about how I'm going to injure myself next. I haven't done any real damage to myself until relatively recently, but no need to worry about that!

Not to be deterred, I returned to the rink eager to get back on the saddle of throwing myself around. I slipped off my blade guards and stepped onto the ice before going about my session as normal, blissfully unaware of anything around me.

I was later informed that a conversation took place between the aforementioned ice dance friend and another coach at the rink:

Friend nudges coach and indicates me getting on: "Hey up, Daredevil's getting on the ice, keep an eye out for the injuries."

To which she turned back to him and said, "that man genuinely terrifies me. He's completely crazy."

I'm officially too crazy for my rink. Should I be proud of this fact? Probably not, but I am all the same!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the beginning there was... A bad skiing lesson

Straight Up Pain

HP #28 - It was a dark time for the Rebellio... Skater?