HP #4 - Do I have to feed them twice a day?

Usual disclaimer applies: this is an old event I'm recounting. See my first HP post for the full notes on these.

Background: This snapshot of the past comes about four or five weeks into my skating career.

-------------------------

"Those blades sound blunt," Ashley stated as I shuffled around on my rental skates.

"Well, they're from the rink's hire bunch, not much I can do," I said defensively.

"Well... Don't get those ones again," he replied.

I interpreted this as a sign that I should probably just get my own skates. I didn't want to be accused of blunt blades anymore even if it wasn't my fault.

"I've been thinking about getting my own..." I began. I was really hoping that Ashley would shower me with wisdom and offer some suggestions on what to get because the world of ice skate purchasing seemed big and scary.

He cautioned against spending too much at first, because you could learn a lot just using lower level boots; furthermore higher level boots aren't really designed for learning in and could actually slow your learning down.

Somewhat wiser, I wandered up to the rink's front desk after the lesson and announced I would like to buy some skates. I was pretty excited at the prospect; owning my own skates made me feel like I was starting to look (at least to other people) like I was taking the sport seriously, rather than just mentally believing I was.

One of the back office staff came out (my rink doesn't have a shop exactly, they can order in and sell skates but they don't have a formal store area style setup) and talked with me in the rink cafe about what I needed. I explained I was a beginner and just needed something to get me through the Skate UK course. He brought out a few boots (in white because there aren't enough male figure/dance skaters to justify having a lot of black ones in stock) and I decided I liked the Graf 500. I didn't really know what I was meant to be feeling when I put them on, but they seemed fine. I knew they were meant to be a tight fit, but it was so hard to say what would be too tight or not enough with my limited experience. The whole thing would be a good deal easier if they had a Harry Potter-esque Sorting Hat that just announced "GRAF 500!" or "JACKSON MYSTIQUE!"; that'd solve everyone's problems.

Choices...
... choices.

THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME!

Foot in boot, expectant man looking at me, I suddenly realised how impulsive I was being, so I panicked and told him I'd think about it. When I got home, I did some research online and the Graf 500 seemed as good a beginner choice as any. I also came to the realisation that anything was probably workable and it was just to get me started. I could worry more seriously about researching the whole thing when I needed better ones and would (hopefully) know more about skating. This would be Future Me's problem.

Next lesson, Ashley nodded approvingly of my sleek, new, black Grafs. I think he was complimenting the overall look of me in proper skates rather than the skates themselves, but I was happy anyway.

Damn, the breaking in though, not good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the beginning there was... A bad skiing lesson

Straight Up Pain

HP #2 - Getting another perspective