Requesting permission to land

"Okay! Crossovers in a figure of eight!" a typical warm up exercise in my lessons with the Tammasaurus, "... and finish with a landing glide," she calls as I'm completing the last backwards clockwise circle. I reach the straight and obediently raise a leg as I glide backwards on the other one. I was actually pretty pleased with the final product: I felt it had good leg elevation, a decently straight back and good bend on my gliding leg, plus I was holding the glide confidently with my arms nicely outstretched.

I steal a glance at the the Tammasaurus who has a pained look on her face.

"Ooooowennnnnnnnnn," she whines in a scolding tone.

"WHAT?" I think, "THIS LANDING GLIDE IS EXCELLENT!" I'm internally outraged but I defiantly continue to glide along, holding my pose, awaiting the incoming critique.

"Come on now, what leg do you land on?" she asks wearily.

... Oh yeah, my right leg... and I'm currently on my left...


Well she should've at least been impressed at how good my landing glide on the leg that doesn't normally do it is! That's a quality left outside backward spiral in the making!

What's worse is that she continued to jokingly remind me for a few weeks about this faux pas and I made an effort to correctly execute the landing glide as intended in those weeks... Until one lesson where I panicked and tried to do a left inside backward landing glide instead. The instability I felt was instant and I knew it was all wrong, her eyes immediately adopted the "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" look and I rapidly changed leg.

"Look at that, this is really nice!" she chirped admiringly when I finally get the right leg under me. AT LAST! PRAISE FOR THE LANDING GLIDE I DID SO NICELY WEEKS AGO AND IT'S THE RIGHT LEG THIS TIME!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the beginning there was... A bad skiing lesson

Straight Up Pain

HP #2 - Getting another perspective